What is your favorite Spring beer?

Saturday, February 25, 2006

How Am I Different? Chapter 3

Chapter 3

It’s love that’s hiding deep down inside us all

so maybe we should let it bubble up

from deep inside us all - - Dave Matthews

The days rolled on and Abe would like to have said he did important noteworthy things but that was not the case. He wrote as usual into the nights and wandered the streets or listened to records during the day. It was getting colder; almost November then with all its grey skies and bare trees as foreshadows of paler days ahead. He decided to call Johanna Wednesday because he figured the only time she could get out would be on a weekend.

AHi. Remember me?@

AOf course. I thought you=d call sooner.@

AWell, you know. I get so caught up in the hustle and bustle and all.@

AMmhh. I don=t want to take up all your free time, then. Did you have something to ask me?@ Abe could almost see the smirk through the phone which she was indeed wearing at the other end of the line.


AAs a matter of fact I did. I was wondering if you=d like to go out this weekend. Friday or Saturday, it doesn’t=t matter to me.@

AI was hoping that would be the question. The answer is yes. Why did you wait so long?@

ADidn’t want to seem over-eager I guess. You could have called me.@

AThat=s not how it=s supposed to go. You=re supposed to call me.@

AWhat, are we in junior high now? There=s always Sadie Hawkins.@

AYou=re right. I suppose if everything goes well I could call you the next time around.@

AI=d like that. How have you been?@

AGood. We=re almost through >A Separate Peace=. Any suggestions for further reading?@

AAbout a hundred, but they=re either inappropriate or over their heads. I=ll think on it. Any other news?@

AMy goldfish died.@

AGoldie?@ Johanna affirmed. AAww. I=m sorry. I felt as though I knew him. Hopefully he had enough insurance to cover the funeral.@ Johanna laughed.

AThat=s very sensitive. Remind me never to invite you to an actual person=s funeral.@

AI can=t say that I=d have too good a time at one anyways so I=ll let it go.@

AThis... You...@ She was trying to speak through muffled laughter. AYou=re abominable.@

AThank you. Not every day someone spends five syllables just on calling me a name.@

ADo you have a comeback for everything?@

AI have to say I do. I=m a writer. That=s my job.@

AThen how=s your comeback for this? I want to see you. Right now.@

AThen I=d have to ask one thing. Your place or mine?@

AYours. I=ve been in mine all night.@


AThat=s an empathetic girl. I=ll see you in a bit then?@

AAs fast as my little legs will carry me.@

They hung up and Abe waited. While he waited he blazed through the apartment and made sure he didn’t=t look like too much of a bachelor. By the time there was a knock at the door he was reasonably satisfied with the place.

AHello.@ Johanna greeted him. She was wearing a pale green silk scarf in her hair that nudged her grey-green eyes a bit closer to its color. ACan I come in?@ He realized he was staring at her in the doorway.

AYeah, yeah. Sorry.@

ANo witty remark?@

AWell, you=re much harder to talk to in person, since you can see me and all.@ She smiled slyly.

ASo you=re more of a Sarono?”

AOf sorts. Only when I=m trying to be clever, though.@

AThen stop it. I want to talk to you, not a bank of stored up one-liners.@

AFair enough. You=re...You=re something too, you know. I didn=t expect you to be so intelligent.@

AWhat the hell is that supposed to mean?@ Johanna looked indignant but willing to hear a reason.

AYou told me to be honest. That was my honest feeling. I didn=t expect you, or anyone for that matter, to be so clairvoyant. I=m glad you are though. I don=t think I=d be nearly as interested in you if you weren’t.@ She looked perplexed. AIt=s supposed to be a compliment.@ Johanna’s look did not change. AYou see, this is what happens when I have to be candid instead of witty.@ She nodded.

AOkay. I=ll take it as it was meant. And I much prefer candid to witty, for the record. Can we sit down now?@ Abe realized that after letting her in they had neglected to move from the entryway.

AYeah. Would you like something to drink?@


AIf you have any of those Labatt=s left that would be nice.@ He did and quickly grabbed a pair from the kitchen. AI read you first book.@ He raised his eyebrows. AI could tell the difference between the first and the latest. Which is good.@

AThanks. I=m glad I think you liked it.@

AI liked it.@

AI=m really glad you came over. This is nice.@

AEventually you=re going to have to tell me if I=m infringing on your work time.@ He nodded.

AMaybe when we get old and bored. Until then I=ll be happy to see you.@ Johanna blushed faintly before trying to hide it with a smile. AYou have school tomorrow, right?@

AMmhh Hhmm. Have to be there at seven-thirty. I can=t stay long. Just wanted something different to do.@

AIf I=m a change of pace then you need to find yourself a hobby.@

ACome on now. Hey. What would you think about going to a play on Saturday night?@

ACulture? I don=t know about that. It might hurt my superficial book writing state of mind.@

AI wouldn’t worry too much. And you=re starting into your lines again, for the record. You don’t need to. It=s a high school rendition of Death of a Salesman. A lot of the English-prone kids are involved in the drama club and they asked me to go see it. I didn’t want to be so pathetic as to attend a high school play by myself on a Friday night.@

ASo you thought you=d bring an even bigger sap along with you, eh? Well, Yeah. I=ll go. Because of you. Not because I like Death of a Salesman. I do. Which is precisely the reason I have a squeamish feeling about seeing a bunch of fifteen year olds butchering it.@

ARemind me to never let you get a teaching certificate.@

AAgain, something that would slowly kill me. But I definitely see the need for them. So I have to respect you for that.@

“I=ll take that as a compliment, which by the way, you need to work on. And thank you for being my date. We can do something fun afterwards if you want.@


AI have half a mind to have some fun beforehand. Might make the play seem smoother.@

AYeah, right. But I have to be a responsible, supportive teacher. So if you want to have fun afterwards...@ She narrowed her eyes with a coy smile, Ayou=d better behave during.@

AYes ma=am.@ He gave her a submissive look like a third-grader caught with a slingshot until he couldn’t hold the feigned remorse any more. AI=m sorry. You=re just a lot harder to fool in person.@

AI should hope so. I have kids trying to pull stuff with me all day long. You=ll have to be pretty subtle to trick me. I should also hope you would realize you don=t have to try.@

AA Master=s in English and I=m no better than a teenager. Guess I paid too much for that one.@

AI forgot you have a Master=s.@ Abe had not meant to impress Johanna; it had just been a passing comment.

AYeah. It=s not that hard, really. It was more to escape getting a real job for another couple of years.@

AWhich you still haven=t gotten around to,@ Johanna teased. ANo, actually, I=ve been thinking about getting one myself. It would mean another third of my pay.@

AOh, you definitely should, then. It=s really not that hard. Especially if you know what you=re doing.@

AI couldn’t=t just take a sabbatical, though. It would take me at least two and a half years.@

AThere=s where your novel comes in. Whip one out and that=ll pay for the degree.@ She rolled her eyes. They bantered on for another hour or so before Johanna started looking at her watch.

AI=d better go. I had fun, though. And I=ll see you Friday?@

AYes. Do you want to get dinner first?@ She thought about it quickly and nodded.

AOk. That would be nice. Like a real date.@

AI=ll bring you a corsage.@ She rolled her eyes as she stood up. ASorry. I just start spouting off when I get nervous.@


She smiled. AYou blend pick up moves and honesty quite curiously.@

AThen maybe I should just shut up.@

AI can see where your stories are born anyways.@ She pulled her coat on and they stood in the living room. AI have to go. I really wish I didn’t=t, but...@

AA wish and a nickel will get you a stick of gum.@ Abe shrugged as to confirm it. Johanna nodded. She leaned up to him on her way out the door and brushed his lips with hers the way Abe imagined Europeans said goodbye. They gave one another a smile and she walked out the door.

Friday came and Abe picked Johanna up from her apartment, which was a nice looking place on the west end of town, and headed to a swanky restaurant near her school.

AYou look wonderful,@ he commented as soon as she had opened the door. And she did. She was wearing a black skirt with a ruffled maroon top and a wispy scarf to match the pants. There was a thin silk maroon scarf in her blonde hair.

AThank you. You don=t look bad yourself all dressed up.@ He was wearing a simple blue shirt and black Dockers. Abe didn’t=t tell Johanna that aside from two other ill-fitting dress shirts it was all he owned in the way of formal attire. It was an odd feeling, being dressed up, especially since he knew it was solely for Johanna=s benefit.

Abe would come to count the date as an overall success. They chatted over wine and pasta at a cozy little restaurant before immersing themselves in the world of Arthur Miller as presented by the Roosevelt High school Drama Club. It was actually better that what Abe had prepared himself for.

AWell. That was all right.@ Abe finally said as they walked to his car arm in arm.

AI=m glad you liked it. Now I know who to call for Carmen next semester.@


ANo, no, no. I have a great time with you and all, but amateur musicals is where I=m going to have to draw the line.@ Johanna snickered.

AI=m joking. I wouldn’t=t put anyone through that. It=s good to know the shallow depths you=re willing to swim in to please me, though.@

AHey. I have standards. And we=re not there yet.@

ATo the doing anything for me phase? That=s the first phase, you doofus. How do you think you=re supposed to reel a girl in, anyways?@

ADoofus?@

AWhy do I even bother?@

AI don=t know.@ They ducked into the car and headed to Abe=s apartment. ADo you really want to sit in my living room right now?@ He asked suddenly.

AWhy? Do you?@

AI want to get ice cream and walk around downtown.@

AOk.@ There wasn=t even a stutter of hesitation in Johanna=s voice. Abe nodded while looking ahead at the road and turned away from the exit leading to his neighborhood in favor of a more historic and regal looking section a few miles away.

The place they ended up was a street lined with similar looking rounded brick buildings and open air alleyways housing every kind of shop and boutique and restaurant someone could think to have in a shopping district. There was a damp softness cast on the view from frosted street lamps; as if visitors had just missed the rain shower.

AEverything=s dark.@ Johanna noticed upon stepping out of the car. AIs anything open?@

ANot much. But it=s really peaceful at this time of night. I come here sometimes when I can=t write. The window shopping is a great way to spend an unproductive evening. You’re actually the first person I’ve ever taken with me.@ Johanna saw what Abe meant as they passed the first few backlit displays for a music store, a candy shop, and a vintage clothing boutique.


AWow.@ They soon came to the coffee and sweets shop Abe knew would be open. It was about the only light in any of the buildings beckoning people who may not normally stop to see what the reason was. Abe knew.

AHello, Linda.@ The proprietor was a middle-aged hippy cheerily flitting from espresso machines to ice cream freezers and ovens.

AAbraham! How are things?@

AWonderful. We took in a play and thought we=d walk around a bit.@

AWriter=s block.@ She said it as a fact they both knew.

AYes. Her name is Johanna.@ Johanna blushed deeply.

AWonderful!@ Linda shook her hand warmly. AWhat=ll we have today?@

AWell, I don=t know. What do you think?@

AI think you two should have a sundae. Coffees to go?@ He nodded. Johanna smiled accommodatingly and tried to keep up. Linda busied herself preparing the dish and Johanna gave Abe an amused and quizzical look. He shrugged with a grin.

There were a half dozen people scattered at the few tables in the place but the room=s size made those few seem like plenty but no one occupying the love seat along the back wall Abe liked to use. The walls surrounding the couch were full of black and white photographs of Jerry Garcia, John Lennon, Joni Mitchell, and others who all seemed to beam down on whoever was sitting beneath them.

Abe and Johanna sat snuggly together with the sundae between them on a remarkably plain coffee table. Their cups were steaming cool on either side as they daintily spooned ice cream out of the glass dish. Johanna had barely gotten the first bite into her mouth when she started laughing. She had to concentrate on swallowing before she could answer Abe=s furrowed eyebrows and wondering grin.

AI=m sorry. I mean, I=m a girl and I like romance and all, but this is so cheesy! It=s just wonderful.@

AThank you. I thought I would have to fake my way through all this. I really do come here, though. And it=s nice.@


ANo, no. This is great. Cheesiness is great. I just never expected it. Sharing a sundae in an ice cream shop.@ She started giggling again. Once she settled down she cocked her head and decided to kiss him. It was subtle and sweet, nothing like the aura vuoix kiss she had given him the night before. AHmm Hmm.@ Her giggles almost started again but she managed to stifle them. They continued eating until in a last bravado of cliche Abe nudged the lone cherry in the dish over to Johanna. She plucked it from the stem with her teeth and an endearing smile.

With tolerable coffees in hand they lighted into the street. Johanna slid a very unobtrusive pinky finger alongside Abe=s and left it at that as they walked past the shops.

AOh, I=d love to come here in the day time. It must be nice.@

AI=ve never been.@

AReally? Why?@

ASomething about this scene. I don=t want to see it any other way. This is what it is to me. My >Café Terrace at Night.= It=s perfect.@

AAww. You=re such a romantic.@

AI guess. I wouldn’t=t be a very good fiction writer if I weren’t=t.@

AAww. I think it=s more than that.@

AOh, you know me that well?@

AI=m getting there.@ Abe didn’t=t say anything more about it.

They walked up one side of the street and down the other slowly, looking in windows and sipping coffee. Other than a few teenagers trying to rebel against their posh backgrounds they were alone to wander as they pleased.

Eventually the parking lot Abe=s car was in came into view.

AWell?@

AThat was sweet, Abe. Thanks. I=m... um... I=m going to go home, because...I should. You understand?@

AI think I do. No need to smudge the painting.@ Johanna nodded. They drove to her apartment quietly; each with their own thoughts.


They arrived in front of her place too quickly. AOk. I=ll call you?@ Abe nodded in reply. AMaybe we can get lunch this week.@

AThat would be great.@

AGoodnight.@ She leaned over and kissed him a bit more affectionately than she had in the ice cream shop.

AGoodnight.@ He didn=t get out of the car because it didn’t=t feel like the right thing to do but watched her until she disappeared behind the thick oak doors leading into the building.


No comments: